l s

Saturday, May 06, 2006

Web site updates

Back in 1998 when I first posted my web site I had great plans for keeping it up-to-date. Unfortunately, my webmaster had a full-time job and not much time to do the updates. So I learned some rudimentary HTML and started updating the site myself. She helped me redesign the site, because my knowledge of codes is limited to cut-and-paste. I make new pages using old ones for templates. Af first I updated the site every month, adding new articles and projects and all new links and information on the main page. Then the time between updates stretched to every two months, three months.... I felt pretty guilty, but it was sooo time consuming.

Blogging has changed all that. It's easy to post a blog and add a line of html for a link or image. I can go online and post information in a jiffy. I love it.

The difference was obvious yesterday when I set up my Woodland Restoration 2006 page on the web site. Even though I used a template, it took a large part of the afternoon to resize the photos, rewrite the text and upload them to the server.

I also moved my book reviews from the web site main page to my Mini Book Reviews pages. Instead of posting them all at once on the web, I'm going to post them to my blog as I read them and copy the reviews to the mini-review pages. Much easier. I still need to update the art gallery pages on my web site, but that will take time I don't have right now. It's a beautiful day and I'm going to work outside in the gardens.

Labels: , , ,

1 Comments:

Blogger Michelle Himes said...

Nita, your website is awesome! I can certainly see how it would be time consuming to update it though.

I haven't learned how to create a website yet, that's why I love blogging. It's easy enough for a non-techie like me to do.

http://mhwatercolornotes.blogspot.com

4:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home