l s

Wednesday, September 06, 2006

Packing for a workshop

Yesterday I shipped two boxes of supplies and books for my color workshop in New Jersey by UPS. I dropped them off at Office Depot because I don't have a scale that will weigh packages over five pounds. I used my online UPS account and was delighted to find that the person I shipped to two years ago is still in my UPS address book. All I had to do was click here and there and the boxes were ready to go. It's easier to pack for a color or watercolor workshop than it is for collage and creativity, so it wasn't such a big deal this time. I used to ship only my books that I take for sale. I packed my supplies in one suitcase, my clothes in another, and used a carryon for things I couldn't risk losing, like the outline of the class and handouts. Since 9/11 I've been shipping as much as I can and taking just one suitcase and one carryon. This time I'm going to try to get by with checking one suitcase and carrying a large tote bag, instead of a purse and carryon. I haven't found check-ins to be that bad, but I try to think ahead and make it easier for myself and the security people. Travel isn't as much fun now as it was when I did my first workshop in 1986, but as long as I have a good book and a few sudoku puzzles I can kick back and endure whatever comes along.

I hope I haven't forgotten anything.

Labels: , ,

2 Comments:

Blogger Annette Bush said...

Sounds like a great system for getting there well prepared. "As they say," Nita, I'll just bet they have some art supply stores in New Jersey! That said, when you do forget something, it's finding unscheduled time to purchase the forgotten items - whether toothpaste or Ultramarine Blue. Hope the workshop goes great!
AAB

9:55 AM  
Blogger Nita said...

You're right, Annette, but it can be a nuisance to find the stores or get someone to take you there if you don't have a rental car. Usually students are all too happy to trundle me here and there, but I feel like a pest when I have to ask!

10:15 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home