l s

Tuesday, October 31, 2006

Ready for the Dallas Exploring Creativity Workshop

With the slide returns out of the way, I turned my attention today to packing materials and books for shipping to Dallas for my workshop next week. Looks like there will be twenty-five participants in the workshop, which is actually called "Adventures in Art, Color & Creativity," a little cumbersome for a title. This is a revised and updated version of my creativity workshop based on my new book and other activities I've done in workshops here and there. I love doing this workshop. There's such a great variety of activities and experimentation all within the range of skills of anyone from beginners to professionals--you just take it to your own level and go up from there. It's a chance to try new things, and no way can you make a "mistake." We all need this kind of permission to play sometimes. It isn't about who makes the biggest or the best painting, but about learning strategies to become the best you artist you can be one step at a time.

I shipped nearly fifty pounds of stuff in two boxes--and that doesn't include the books that I had North Light ship for me. I didn't have room for the handouts, so I'll collate them tomorrow and send them priority mail. I used to haul all this with me on the airplane, but since 9/11 it makes sense to ship it and avoid the security issues. Sure makes handling my luggage easier. I just ship everything back at Office Depot by UPS as soon as the workshop is over.

I gave my watercolor class a special project while I'm gone. I'll write about it when I get back and see what they've done with it.

Labels: ,

4 Comments:

Blogger Annette Bush said...

Nita
Every artist needs to print out these two posts to hand out when people say, "What fun to be an artist and just get to paint all day!" These are two tough and time-consuming jobs.
Annette

8:59 AM  
Blogger Nita said...

Very true. People seem so surprised to learn how long it takes to get a book in print--two years at the very least for a top-quality art instruction book.

9:47 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hello, Nita or maybe that should be "Howdy and welcome to Texas". I'll be attending your Dallas workshop and I am looking forward to more "Adventures in Art, Color and Creativity" - and I especially like the part .."and no way can you make a "mistake". I've always admired your site for the information and the wonderful links and now the blog. I belong to a collaborative group of Texas artists www.canvasbycanvas.com who are working very hard to become the best artists we can be while having a lot of fun and several of us have your new book. See you soon, Nancy

1:33 PM  
Blogger Nita said...

It won't be long now! Looking forward to meeting you Texas artists.

2:32 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home