l s

Saturday, November 04, 2006

First Watercolor Lesson

Our Little Artist, almost four now, received a tiny kit of watercolor paints as a party favor this week. Her parents said she loved them and enjoyed painting pictures they printed out from the computer for her. Then they wheedled me into babysitting by saying Jenna was excited about painting with Grammy. Ha! So I picked her up yesterday and we painted together. Mostly she painted and I watched. She really does love it, but especially when I let her use my little pocket palette and small brushes (sable, no less). It took her about a fraction of a second to see the difference. I had some small, blank sketchbook pages that she puddled colors on and eventually she carefully made a big red blob that she said was "lips" and added three spots for nose and eyes. Her first watercolor portrait. I'm so proud!

Labels: , , , ,

3 Comments:

Blogger Michelle Himes said...

This really made me smile, Nita! Maybe your next book can be one for "little artists".

Michelle

10:33 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

no picture with the post? sure fire way of ensuring that she gets to see her first watercolor when she grows older :D

9:13 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

What a sweet story.

When my niece was born, my sister and her husband were trying to decide what the different grandparents would be called. For my mom, I suggested Grammy, because I thought it was unique -- and hey, it's an award, too! Of course, since then, I'm seeing it everywhere, but I still think it's way better than any of the even more common names for a grandmother.

My niece is only fourteen months old, but I hope that she'll become a little artist, as well, so that we can paint together too. She already likes to sit in front of my paintings and stare at them, so I figure that's a good start!

7:18 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home