l s

Friday, March 30, 2007

Watercolor painting and drawing people

Yesterday I picked up the Little Artist and brought her here to play for awhile before her parents joined us for dinner. We walked through the woods to enjoy the wildflowers, but she was more interested in climbing the front and back steps with Granddaddy and ringing the doorbell to see if anyone was home. No one was. We were outside with her. After collecting a basketful of pine cones, which we convinced her that her daddy would love to have, we went inside to play.

After dinner she wanted to paint watercolors using the Altoid palette I made for her awhile ago. She loved playing with the colors (must be genetic) and making colored lines and marks. One of her pictures had a blue sky, green grass and a yellow sun with rays. Very typical for a four-year-old, but of course, exceptional to Grammy. She was delighted when I showed her how the colors would run on wet paper. It worried her that there was no brown on the palette, so I showed her how to mix it and she gave me a big smile. She understands how to rinse her brush between colors and does a good job of it.

Then she switched to "crans" to show me how she can draw people. She makes almost perfect circles for heads, two long legs to the bottom of the paper, stubby arms, dots for eyes and a smiling mouth. She said she didn't know how to make a nose. When I suggested a circle, all of her faces had noses after that. I also mentioned that her people might see better if they had bigger eyes, so she drew larger circles for eyes. She made one figure with an "e-normous" head and eyes, and made a downturned enclosed mouth for one person, who was frowning, she said. She also showed me a page I hadn't seen from last time she was here--four or five orange ovals that were swimming fish. Right now she seems more interested in drawing than in coloring in her pictures. She uses a different color for the head, eyes, mouth, nose, arms and legs.

She took all her pictures home and I forgot to take a photo for the blog.

Labels: , , ,

3 Comments:

Blogger Annette Bush said...

The joy in young eyes sure opens up fresh creativity in our old eyes, doesn't it? Amazing!
My little artist has been living at my house for 2 months now and I usually read your posts to her mother. We are looking forward to having some of your experiences as she gets a little older (not yet 2). We haven't tackled brushes yet, but this week, we actually got some glorious finger-painted refrigerator art!

8:38 AM  
Blogger Nita said...

Oh, that is so much fun! I loved the fingerpaint stage. When I visited Jenna's daycare about two years ago they were fingerpainting and all the kids were mushing the paint around and making mud. She didn't do that at her house, but seemed to enjoy the colors. Yay!

4:42 PM  
Blogger Michelle Himes said...

I love hearing about your Little Artist. My little artists do not live close, but I make it a point to do some kind of artwork with them whenever I/they visit. Their ages are 13, 10, 9, 7, 7, 5, 3, 3, and 1. The 1 year old is too young yet, but just wait! The 13 year old doesn't usually participate anymore, but he still likes to draw (usually Star Wars characters) on his own.

Michelle

10:29 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home