l s

Saturday, October 11, 2008

My 15 minutes

My trip to Dallas yesterday was an awesome experience. The Artist's Showplace, under the direction of Judith Irwin, outdid themselves to create a beautiful event last night, including an impressive display of work by eighteen gallery partners and a special exhibit by some of the artists in Confident Color.

More than half the artists in my book sent artwork, from New Jersey to California, and as far away as British Columbia, Canada. Impressive artworks from the book hang in the hallway next to the front entrance, leading to a gallery where the rest of the show is displayed--a total of 48 paintings and fiber pieces from 26 artists.

I signed copies of my book, and artist Naomi Brotherton, a venerated Dallas artist, whose book Variations in Watercolor has been a favorite of mine for more than twenty years, signed pictures of her artwork in my new book. Several artists in the book attended the opening and signed their artwork, including Teta Smith Aris, Gail Delger, Judith Irwin, Sally Meding, Herb Reed, and Kathy Miller Stone.

Other contributors to the exhibit, which will hang at the gallery throughout October, are Karen Becker Benedetti, Derrick Davis, Bing Davis, Anne R. Eberle, Mike Elsass, Rosie Huart, Cathy Jeffers, Cheryl McClure, Trish McKinney, Shirley Eley Nachtrieb, Lynn Lawson Pajunen, Cathy Quiel, Pat Rayman, Donna K. Rogers, Kay Smith, Sharon Stolzenberger, Michalyn S. Tarantino, Leonard Williams and Suzanne Zoole.

Visitors filled the gallery throughout the three hours, as a jazz saxophonist provided musical background. Judith has promised me some photos, so I'll post a link when I get them.

Labels: , , ,

5 Comments:

Blogger Rosie Huart said...

Nita, I am so happy to be along the path of creativity with you. Thanks for all you do for everyone. I'm glad your event in Dallas was successful. We in Dayton will get to have not only a book signing event, but an exhibition, as well, that celebrates all of us who contributed to your wonderful book. It's a 'win win' situation for everyone. Yea for all of us to have you nearby!

Rosie Huart

7:32 PM  
Blogger Mike said...

Great to hear that your show and book signing was such a success in Dallas, Nita. Also, Amazon is right on top of this one! Nice!

I had Open Studio this weekend and had around 250 guests come through. The book was available for all to see . . .and the reaction to it has been very strong. “I just gotta get this one!” was heard many times during the weekend.

My reaction to the book was “Holy Cow! This was a TON of work to put together! It is soooo complete and full of thought provoking ideas.! I am proud to be part of it!” Great work, Nita ! Not only should you be congratulated, but admired for your obvious dedication to creating an extraordinary outcome to a daunting task. Very, very well done!

Hats Off !!!!

11:28 AM  
Blogger Nita said...

Rosie--
The talent in our area is awesome. It has been a privilege for me since 1985 to showcase some of it in my books, as well as the work of many artists who have come to my workshops whose work isn't widely known. You--and they--all deserve to be seen by everyone.

12:09 PM  
Blogger Nita said...

Mike--Thanks for your generous compliments about the book. It has already been worth all the work to put it together.

12:10 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Nita, Thank you for the ride to Dallas. Glad it was such a great success.
The new book is awesome and while looking through it I feel honored to be in with such a great group of well known artists and also to have you as a friend all these years.
Will see you at your Dayton area book signing this Thursday.

4:12 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home