l s

Friday, April 24, 2009

Catch up time

Busy, busy, busy. Our granddaughter had her spring break following Easter, so we were involved in a sleepover and a natural history museum visit during the week. I spent most of this past week sorting files on my hard drives, which doesn't leave a lot of discretionary time. Or leisure, either, for that matter. Today I did some Web site updating, so I'm almost caught up. Just in time to prepare for a demo at the National Art Materials Trade Association trade show, followed by a workshop in Cazenovia, New York. Other pots are beginning to boil, too, so it looks like a busy summer coming up.

The other day I came across an announcement from the Society of Canadian Artists regarding the artist who ran afoul of the American Watercolor Society last year. Guess what! The Canadian society revoked the artist's awards from 2006 and 2007 and have rescinded her membership. Here's their statement:
http://www.societyofcanadianartists.com/exhibitions/Statement0607.asp

A friend recently told me that the signatures on all her watercolor paintings have disappeared over the years. She had used ballpoint pens to sign. I knew that the ink wasn't permanent. I was shocked she didn't. I keep trying to get my students to sign with brush and watercolor. They counter that the pens are labeled "Permanent." Hello? That means they won't wash out. "Lightfast" means they won't fade. So far, the best pens I know are advertised as "light resistant." That isn't quite the same thing. Does anyone out there know of a lightfast pen?

Labels: , , , ,

3 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

I'm one of the luckies who get to meet you in May. I am submerged in her new book now, having been a color junkie for years. Glad to read you're doing well.

3:11 PM  
Blogger Making A Mark said...

Hi Nita - I also picked up on the SCA statement. So AWS wasn't an isolated case after all - methinks the lady doth protest too much!

Lightfast pens - this has been a bit of a quest for me in terms of finding a lightfast pen for pen and ink work. I found one and you can see a picture of it on my website http://www.pastelsandpencils.com/materials.html#Pen_and_Ink

6:53 PM  
Blogger Nita said...

Katherine--I can't find info on the lightfastness of your pen. Someone brought Prismacolor colored pens to class today, which are marked lightfast.

Martha--I'm so looking forward to getting back to Cazenovia!

9:13 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home