l s

Thursday, May 21, 2009

Weird connections

I take my laptop with me when I travel, so I should be able to blog while I'm away at workshops. It would help if I knew my passwords, wouldn't it? I forgot to pack my cheat-sheet, so I didn't have them, except for a few I have memorized. Dopey me. Also, I didn't have secure connections in some places, and that always worries me. I go online, grab my email, and go offline as fast as I can. Am I paranoid? Yes. My laptop security program won't let me send email from these connections, so I have to wait until I get home to send my replies. I also have to forward all my received email to my main computer. Is there an easier way to do all this? Just wondering. Anyway, I'm back from Louisville, Cazenovia NY, and Boston, and just about unpacked. It has been a great two weeks--meeting terrific people, teaching a great class, and enjoying my son's company and events. I have book orders to ship and new projects to get started, so not much time to kick back. But, no travel on the schedule for awhile. Yay!

4 Comments:

Anonymous Sylvia said...

Welcome back, Nita.

Glad you had a good workshop and time to visit with your son! That's always fun.

3:50 PM  
Blogger Karen Jacobs said...

Have you tried g-mail? So much easier to keep track of from one computer to another no matter where I am. Guess you have to trust Google to be secure as it is all stored online. I think they have too much at stake to not be trustworthy but it's anyone's guess.

8:19 AM  
Blogger Wabbit said...

Nita, don't let your laptop delete the emails when you download them and they'll all be there for your desktop PC when you get home and start up your email program again.

Often, it is easier to use your email provider's web interface to get and reply to email. Just go there on your browser and log in to receive email. If you save your replies, just save them there and you'll still have access to them. I've just started to take a 10" netbook with me instead of the bigger laptop to save on weight. 2.5 lbs, vs. 6.5 lbs. Makes a HUGE difference!

5:28 PM  
Blogger Nita said...

Thanks for the suggestions. Any recommendations on the netbook?

10:17 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home