l s

Friday, March 26, 2010

Taos Photoshoppers still at it

Rick Finney, Bev Teagle, and Jerry Walter are still creating awesome artwork based on ideas from The New Creative Artist, using Photoshop digital editing as their medium. Now that I'm taking a Photoshop Elements class I'm even more amazed at what they do. The abstract is "Planetary Surge" by Rick Finney. Here he describes some of his Photoshop techniques.

Next is Jerry Walter's "On Oak Avenue, Elkader Iowa." He used a watercolor effect on a photograph through many layers. I've never seen a Photoshop watercolor that looked so much like the real thing. I love the intense color. The details of the trim on the porch and roof are wonderful. Here's a video interview with Jerry that describes his process and photography.

Bev Teagle has made a collage-style Photoshop artwork, combining several photographs and blending them together. This is something we're learning to do in the PSE class, along with how to restore old photographs.

I know Photoshop Elements isn't as powerful as Photoshop, but it's amazing what you can do with it, from composing a painting to value sketches to planning color schemes. Your photo can be the art or it can be part of the planning process for a painting.

2 Comments:

Blogger Bren Graham Thebeau said...

Thank you so much for sharing this Nita, it's truly amazing what can be done with digital art. I'd love to be taking a class in Photoshop myself, perhaps one day, but in the meantime I'm looking forward to seeing where your creative edge will take you in digital art :-) I'll be sharing this post with my sister who is into photography and moving towards digital art as well.

5:45 PM  
Anonymous Rich said...

Nice site you have. In which photos like this have a different approach. Thanks a lot for sharing this article.

9:13 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home